Monday, October 17, 2011

Lesson 2: Learning Styles or "Does Thinking About Thinking Make You Nuts?"

Am I a visual, auditory, reading/writing, or kinesthetic learner? Do I learn better by hearing, or reading, or touching, or using a diagram? We'll take the VARK quiz to find this answer. VARK Questionaire
What does this show me about myself? How can I apply this to my daily lessons? Then think about your results as we look at these other ideas. 

"Does thinking about thinking make you nuts?" Tawnya Johns
  • Do my teachers teach using the methods I prefer?
  • Can I create my own teaching devices from the information my teachers give me?
  • If my learning style is auditory can I find my literature text on CD or MP3?
  • If my learning style is all reading and writing, but my teacher loves to use hands-on projects and lab environments, how can I re-frame the information into something I can use?
  • I am a visual learner, I need charts, graphs, diagrams, rubrics, and calendars to help me remember details. My teacher is all about the lecture without any visual aides. What can I do? 



    Think about some responses to these and post your ideas in the comments section to share with others. Are there other issues you have faced and how did you deal with these? Any ideas to share? (remember you may need a gmail account to sign in and add your comments).

    1 comment:

    1. The answers to my VARK Questionnaire showed I had strong Visual learning tendencies and that my Reading/Writing and Kinesthetic tendencies tied. This reinforces my idea that learning to take better notes is vital if I'm ever in a class that relies heavily on listening to a teacher lecture. (we'll get to this strategy in a few weeks).

      ReplyDelete